Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lenten Special

Mardi Gras was this past Tuesday and we celebrated in true kindergarten fashion in my classroom. Both classes were given fun beads and the other kindergarten teacher and I made gold, green and purple pancakes for the kiddos as they arrived. The kids loved it!
We have so many wonderful things planned for our kindergarteners this Lent incorporating prayer, fasting and almsgiving and I can't wait to share them with you! I have been addicted to Catholic Icing http://www.catholicicing.blogspot.com/. It's amazing and the mom that writes the blog has the best ideas for kids! You'll see a lot of her stuff on here during Lent, that I'm going to use in my classroom. Love her!

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. I love Lent! I really do. There is just something about this time of year, right before the beauty of Easter and spring arrives. It's a time to renew your spirit, and recommit yourself to God. I usually don't give something up, but I do committ to doing something...something with God or for God. I just don't get much out of giving up chocolate or coffee etc., not that it's wrong, I just don't get much from it. I like to do something, something that brings me closer to Christ, that strengthens my relationship with Him. I've decided what I am doing this year, and I'm really excited about it. I feel like it's exactly what I need right now and exactly what Christ wants me to do. I'll share more later, maybe after Lent, about my experience and how it changed things for me. Happy Lent to you and I just pray that your Lent is meaningful and time well spent preparing your heart for Christ!


Quick prayer request...Kennedy is recovering from pnemonia. She is doing better, but night time is always the hardest time. She and I stayed home from school today and we'll do the same tomorrow.
Good night...

post signature

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Love the pancake idea!! My husband lived in New Orleans for a while, so we are all about celebrating Mardi Gras. Also, thanks for the Catholic Icing reference. Such fun ideas!!

Alyssa said...

Hi Jackie! Thanks for the website...it will be SO helpful with what my Lenten promise is (too long to explain in the 'comments' section) it just involves daily devotional time with my 2 & 4 year that I have at home. Katie LOVED the pancakes even though I kept asking her "are you sure is wasn't Kingcake?" She kept saying "no, it was PANcakes, not KINGcakes." Guess I should've believed her.
Hope your little sweetie is feeling better...soon! So sorry she's sick. :(